Business-Benefits with vSan from VMware
IT teams benefit from simplified operational processes with vSan, while at the same time the agility of a company is significantly improved through a uniform infrastructure as well as processes and tools - starting from the edge of a network via Core to Cloud.
Uniform guidelines as well as the automation of processes reduce the effort of IT management to a few simple clicks. As a result, IT staff can devote more time to important strategic IT projects instead of spending valuable time on routine tasks. With VMware vSan , enterprises reduce the cost and complexity of traditional storage solutions while choosing the simplest path to Hyperconverged Infrastructure and Hybrid Cloud.
As vSphere-native storage, the integrated Hyperconverged Infrastructure (HCI) solution vSan also facilitates the expansion of existing virtualizations in an enterprise and at the same time helps to increase agility as well as reduce complexity and thus IT costs, TCO as well as business risks. Deploying VMware vSan thus not only accelerates infrastructure modernization, but also makes it scalable to future needs, giving enterprises a strategic and economic advantage.
How does VMware vSan 7?
vSan first aggregates all local or directly attached data storage devices to create a single storage pool that can be shared by all hosts in a vSan cluster. All virtual machines running Server applications run vSan on the same hardware that provides the storage.
Flash-based storage such as SSDs, NVMe devices or NVDIMMs are used for caching the storage and HDDs or SSDs are used for storing the data. HDD, SSD storage and cache storage together form a disk group. Multiple hosts and their disk groups can in turn be combined into different types of clusters, such as Standard clusters, stretched clusters or 2-node clusters.
The storage policies are an elementary component of vSan: They control the storageServices and also define the parameters for replication or mirroring. vSan is very easy to configure with the tools available from VMware and is perfectly integrated into the VMware ecosystem.
The result is a stable, powerful and horizontally scalable architecture. Among other things, this also enables performance benefits, as storage can be directly allocated to a local virtual machine (VM), thus also helping to reduce operating costs.
The advantages of VMware vSan 7 at a glance
- vSan provides flash-optimized, secureShared Storage all critical virtualized workloads in an enterprise can be easily and directly accessed through the VMware Native vSphere® user interface.
- The vSan Software Defined Storage system is suitable for typical enterprise-wide applications as well as virtual Desktop environments (VDI), as well as for Server in branch offices.
- vSan runs on industry-standard x86 servers and components - with the advantage of up to 50% lower TCO compared to traditional storage.
- As the first solution with native, software-based and FIPS 140-2 validated HCI encryption in this segment, vSan 7 provides the agility needed to easily scale IT - without compromise.
- By fully integrating vSan with the ESXi hypervisor, local physical storage resources from ESXi hosts can be virtualized and turned into storage pools, which in turn can be partitioned and allocated to virtual machines and applications according to their quality of service requirements.
- With vSan, there is no need for external shared storage, while at the same time storage configuration is simplified via Storage Policy-Based Management (SPBM).
- By creating storage policies for virtual machines (VM), storage requirements and functions can be defined individually, including the unification of resources.
- All data is stored in duplicate - for maximum availability and redundancy, even if a complete node should fail. With vSan, the security of internal data is thus significantly increased.
- The developer-oriented infrastructure enables IT administrators to flexibly create applications to manage VMs and containers.
- Based on vSan 's hyper-converged infrastructure, development of a unified digital control plane is possible - with consistent operations from the edge through the Core to the Cloud, from the edge through the Core, for Cloud-inherent security for data at rest as well as transferred from numerous public Cloud providers.
- In addition, vSan enables hybrid storage solutions for privateCloud and hybridCloud, including support from leading Cloud vendors.