The most important advantages of ThinApp at a glance
- Optimization of application management
- Reduction of IT support and helpdesk costs
- Simplified migration to Windows 7, 8 and 10
- Prevention of application version conflicts
- Support for virtualization of browsers and plug-ins
- Improved endpoint security
- Increased employee mobility
How does ThinApp work?
VMware ThinApp is an agentless solution designed to virtualize a variety of applications running on different versions of operating systems and deliver them to users in a unified environment. To do this, ThinApp uses a variety of strategies that allow, for example, legacy applications to be migrated with ease.
Simple application virtualization
VMware ThinApp approaches application virtualization by first encapsulating application files and registry entries in a single ThinApp package. This can then be deployed, managed and updated independently of the underlying operating system. Applications virtualized in this way cannot cause any changes to the underlying operating system, and they can also be run in different configurations. The benefits include improved compatibility with other applications and easier management, as well as a consistent user experience that helps improve workflow efficiency.
Simplified migration of operating systems
VMware ThinApp enables rapid migration of legacy applications to Windows 7 or Windows 10 without the need for recoding, retesting, or recertification. Installed applications are automatically converted to ThinApp packages in the background. Application packages already created for use with ThinApp on Windows XP or older versions can be conveniently converted to a ThinApp Windows format using the relink feature.
Isolation of applications to avoid conflicts
Conflicts between individual applications or between applications and operating systems are avoided with ThinApp by packaging 32- or 64-bit applications, including settings, in a single MSI or EXE file; these can then be deployed in different Windows operating environments.
The virtual applications are thereby isolated from each other and can thus be run independently without any changes to the operating system in question. For complete life-cycle management, ThinApp packages can also be deployed and managed with App Volumes.
With ThinApp, applications can be run on restricted User accounts and "locked down" or restricted PCs without requiring any prior system changes or downgrading of security policies. The application packages are executed only in user mode.
Since ThinApp does not use kernel mode code, it does not violate existing computer group policies for User. Unintentional policy violations are also avoided with this solution, because no extended application permissions are assigned to the devices connected to the respective computer in the process.
Mobile access from different devices
With ThinApp, reliable and flexible mobile access is also possible in the office or on the road on all devices, because neither the installation of software nor a device driver is necessary for this, nor the granting of administrator rights. ThinApp therefore also supports BYO (Your Own Device) devices, so that users can also access the provided applications at any time from private end devices, even if a non-compatible operating system version is installed.
The applications provided via this can also be executed directly by users via mobile storage devices (e.g. flash drives) and thin client terminals. Likewise, deployment, maintenance and updating is possible for admins.
Further advantages of ThinApp:
- ThinApp supports Windows 10 - allowing easy migration of legacy applications such as Office 2003 into Windows 10 images. Expensive recoding, regression testing and support costs for legacy browser applications are avoided.
- ThinApp allows a wide range of application linkages - including configuration of relationships between virtualized applications, plug-ins, service packs, as well as runtime environments such as Java and .NET.
- The guaranteed compatibility of ThinApp with other applications, including the migration of legacy applications to current Desktop environments, eliminates the need for extensive software recoding - enabling companies to save valuable resources and thus costs in application management.
- Instant, easy access to applications without a prior installation process from a variety of endpoints - both personal and corporate devices - increases employee efficiency - they can continue working immediately and without delay.
- Application streaming with ThinApp as well as personalization for users takes place at the data processing level via consolidated session-based Server, running on Microsoft RDSH or Citrix XenApp servers.
- By integrating ThinApp with VMware Horizon Workspace, applications can also be easily managed and securely deployed in Cloud-based application catalogs. In addition, automatic updates via the web are possible with AppSense.